SSI FREEDIVING ITC LEVEL 1 REQUIREMENTS AND ASSESSMENTS
Applicants for the Freediving Instructor rating should be physically fit and Flexible individuals that can display outstanding watermanship. Applicants must be either SSI Instructor rating or Dive-con AND having completed a SSI level 1 freediving course (or equivalent) , OR be Level 3 fredivers (or equivalent).
The SSI Level 1 Freediving Instructor rating will require the following:
The Instructor applicant must achieve a 90% pass rate in the Level 1 and 2 Student Freediver Final Exams
• If the applicant achieves a mark below 90% they may retake the exam the following day.
• If the Instructor applicant achieves a mark below 90% on the second attempt they will fail the entire course and can re-apply for another IE within 12 months.
NOTE: It is the responsibility of the Instructor applicant to fully familiarise themselves with the SSI level 1 Freediver course material.
SSI Freedving Level 1 Instructor Final Exam
The applicants must achieve an 90% pass rate in the Level 1 Instructor Final Exam
• If the Instructor applicant fails to achieve 90% they may take the exam the following day.
• If the Instructor applicant fails to achieve 90% twice they will fail the entire IE, and may re-apply for the next Freediving IE.
NOTE: The Applicant will have to pass 2 x Academic Presentations and 2 x In-water presentations on Freediving specific topics.
In Water Performance Requirements
The Instructor applicant must achieve a 100% In Water pass rate. All in-water performance requirements are PASS/FAIL tasks. If a candidate fails one point then he/she may redo the performance the following day. If the Instructor applicant fails the performance the second time, he/she is not given a third chance during the same FITC. He/she will then get a completion form and can redo the failed performance within 12 months with another or the same Freediving Instructor Trainer. If the Freediving Instructor applicant fails more than two in-water performances twice, the candidate will fail the entire IE and can re-apply for another IE within 12 months.
All the in-water performance requirements where the Instructor applicant has to use fins must be performed with Stereo fins (Bi-Fins) e.g. no mono fins.
• Perform a swim of 800m using mask, snorkel and fins within 15 min
• Perform a swim of 400m (No Fins – buoyancy device or snorkel) within 10 min (any stroke)
• Freedive to minimum 20m depth competently / on demand
• Ascend from 15m using arms only
• Ascend from 15m with no mask
• Freedive 20m with a minimum dive time of 1min.
• Freedive to 15m and hang for an unknown time then rescue another Freediver from simulated blackout (BO) from that depth.
• Endurance examination – max 1min preparation, 5 dives to 15m with 1min surface interval between dives .
• Shallow Water Blackout (SWB) rescue from 15m and demonstrate a 50m tow.
• Perform pool disciplines Dynamic (DYN) – minimum 50m.
• Perform pool disciplines DYN w/no fins (Arms only) – minimum 25m.
• Perform a Static breath-hold minimum of 2:30mins.
• Demonstrate Blackout (BO)/Loss of Motor Control (LMC) rescue skills during pool sessions.
• Demonstrate proper rope/buoy rigging for an Open water Freediving session.
If the Instructor applicant has an equalisation problem then they may retake the in water performance requirements at a determined date in the presence of an SSI Freediving IT within 12 months.
Subsequent IE updates will have to be taken to achieve instructor status to be able to teach the Level 2 and Level 3 Freediver courses and Specialties.
As a prerequisite prior to applying for Level 2 Freediving Instructor course update is a requirement to teach and certify a minimum of 25 Level 1 students.
* All Instructor applicants must also have their own total “Freediving” system of Instructor quality.